24 Abbeydale Road South, Sheffield S7 2QN
Telephone: 0114 2363391


The Hospital employs a Local Veterinary Inspector appointed by the Secretary of State who can deal with all of your Pet Passport Scheme requirements.

Taking your dogs and cats abroad

This is a brief guide to what is required if you want to travel abroad with your dog or cat. For further information ask one of our vets.

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) is the system that allows pet dogs, cats and ferrets to travel to other European Union (EU) countries, and return to the UK. They can also, having taken their dogs, cats and ferrets to certain non-EU countries, bring them back to the UK without the need for quarantine. The rules are to keep the UK free from rabies and certain other diseases.

Taking your pet abroad requires prior planning and will take between 21 days and 2 months before the animals will be allowed to re-enter the UK.

Microchip identification

An animal must firstly have a microchip implanted.

Vaccination against rabies

The next step is to start the rabies vaccination process. At Park Veterinary Hospital we recommend having two initial rabies vaccines 2-4 weeks apart. The Pet Passport scheme only required one injection against rabies to comply with their regulations but we recommend two injections to ensure that your pet will have adequate protection against rabies. Our vets will then produce the passport.

You will be able to re-enter the UK 3 weeks after the initial rabies vaccination has been given.

Booster vaccinations

After an animal has been vaccinated, it must be given booster vaccinations to remain qualified for PETS. This must be done by the “Valid until” date on the animal’s EU pet passport. Currently our Nobivac rabies vaccines will last 3 years i.e. booster vaccinations will be required within 3 years as stated by the passport.

Some countries have differing requirements for the frequency of rabies vaccinations e.g. animals remaining in Spain or France for more then 3 months fall under their requirements and this means rabies vaccines annually if staying abroad to keep the passport valid. We recommend checking the relevant government website for the country you are wishing to travel to as protocols are changing all the time.

Before you go and while you are away

Please speak to one of the vets about getting adequate disease protection for your pet while you are away. What is recommended will depend on the climate of country you are travelling to. In general you should make sure your pet is protected against worms, ticks, and in hotter countries mosquitoes and sandflies can also be a health risk.


When you are returning home

Treatment against tapeworms

Before re-entering the UK under PETS, dogs must be treated against the tapeworm by a veterinary surgeon in the appropriate country.

The treatment must be carried out not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (5 days) before the pet is checked-in with the approved transport company to travel on the return journey to the UK. The treatment must be given every time a pet re enters the UK.

The rules are to protect human and animal health and to reduce the risk of importing rabies into the UK. Animals not meeting all the rules must be licensed into quarantine.

There are no requirements for dogs and cats traveling directly between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

Taking dogs and cats out of the UK to countries not part of the PETS scheme

To enter a non-EU listed country, pets may need an export health certificate or an import permit. Some of these countries may require an animal to have been vaccinated against rabies within a specified period before it arrives so you might need to revaccinate some pets against rabies before the booster is due.

It is the responsibility of the pet owners to ensure that they meet the entry requirements of the country to which they wish to take their pet. They can obtain more advice on taking their pet from the UK to other countries from their local Animal Heath Divisional Office or on the DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) website - www.defra.gov.uk



Pet owners will still be able to travel to Europe with their pets after the UK leaves the EU, whatever the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. However in the event of a no deal Brexit, there will be new rules in place, new documentation required and a possible blood test. Please contact the practice to speak a designated advisor and visit the following website: